Friday, October 1, 2010

Gullivers! Right Away!


Terry has an incredible knack for striking up interesting conversations with taxi drivers.  I noticed this about him on our first trip together to Montreal.  He takes on new accents, finds out intriguing information, gets directions and necessary information, and receives presents. 

We made a trip to IKEA last night - we still have quite a few things to get for our home.  With a basket full of household items, we called a taxi rather than take the train/bus or wait in the taxi queue for an hour (there's an extra fee for calling a taxi but it's well worth it in these situations).  Our driver was friendly and kind-hearted and seemed like a gentle soul.  Although taxi drivers here are often talkative and helpful, 'gentle soul' is not how I would typically describe them.  Terry immediately struck a conversation with him about the music he was playing... it was meditation music with chimes and gentle chanting.  Naturally, I loved it. 

I didn't hear the whole conversation - my daughter was describing what she learned in yoga earlier that day.  She learned some breathing techniques and sun salutations, and I was absolutely thrilled she thoroughly enjoyed it.  She now knows that she can use the Nadi Sodhana, or alternate nostril breathing, to calm her before a math test!  I definitely had a proud mama moment. 

I heard snippets of the front seat conversation... Buddhist temple.... CD.... meditation... relax.... clear your mind througout the day... difficulty clearing the thoughts... vegetarian... I was torn between the two conversations. 

At the end of our ride, my daughter and I commented to each other that it was the most relaxing taxi ride we'd ever had.  After helping to unload the trunk, the taxi driver gave something to Terry.  It was a CD of the music he was playing!  Namaste, Mr. Taxi Driver!!

I have a new phrase to replace the St. John's 'Gullivers... right away!'  It's 'Gulliford... talk away!'

2 comments:

  1. I have such a clear picture in my mind of that snippet :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha... because you can picture Terry chatting it up or you can picture my enjoyment of the said CD? :)

    ReplyDelete