Wednesday, January 12, 2011

When in Rome... errr... Asia...


We're back!  We had a terrific time in Canada... Newfoundland... home.  And as anticipated, I've returned to Singapore a little more rejuvenated and a little heavier (so much fantabulous food!).  I ran in the cold a few times... I knew I missed it, but I missed it more than I knew.. but it wasn't enough to negate a little bit of weight gain.  'Tis all part of it though, right?

I was ready to return when we did.  My daughter, on the other hand, was not so hyped up to return.  That said, we had a little adventure on our way home... cancelled flight in Halifax... delayed flight in New York (and big fat snowflakes fell straight to the ground... absolutely delightful.... so we decided to plan a trip to NYC for next year)... and a missed flight in Tokyo, hence an overnight there.  That was great fun and we really liked the little bit of Tokyo that we saw.... mostly airport and hotel and the sights in between. 

Three days and four airlines later, we arrived in Singapore to Terry sporting a sign with our name on it at the airport... oh, and a welcome back sign in our apartment - we have pretty bare walls so I kept it there for a temporary decoration.

It's good to be back.  We have plans.  We have things to do before we move back home.  Places to see.  And a neck to fix.

Yes, I'm back to the bad neck.  It's never gone away.  Travelling for three days doesn't help it.  So yesterday, I decided to drop into a Chinese Medical Centre and ask about acupuncture.  English was minimal.  But so was the wait!  I was in and out of there with a treatment for only S$45 in 1/2 an hour!  No waiting for weeks or months to get an appointment.  Yippee!!!

Who said acupuncture doesn't hurt?  Most of it does not, that is true.  But with about 6-8 needles in my neck/back and four in my hands, it was not exactly the best feeling in the world.  The neck/back needles didn't hurt.  But as I waited under a heat lamp for 20-25 minutes, the doc returned a few times to twist the needles in my hands... and, yep, that hurt.  She twisted and I winced... and I'm voluntarily paying for this??  What is wrong with me?  I need more treatments - maybe not only acupuncture:)  Chinese medicine is sooo accessible here... I'm taking advantage while I can.  Bring on the needles!  And pain if that's what it takes.  I'm ready to fix this neck thing.

We're here in Singapore.  And we're drinking in the culture and opportunities in front of us.  That's what we came for.  And we don't have a whole lot of time left.

I just read about an event being held here on January 20th... the annual festival of Thaipusam.  It's full of rituals and sacrifices... and we're lucky enough to be here to witness it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment