Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Have a Seat


All over the world, expecting mothers are given priority seating, parking, and other perks for carrying around an extra 30lbs or so in order to help sustain the human population.  Well, yesterday I got my first priority seating when a lady got up from her seat in the train and told me to have a seat.  Yippee!  I wasn't going to take it, but hey, I already have a good 10-15lbs on and have started losing my balance on the train... not to mention feet swelling in this heat.

So this baby bump is becoming more and more noticeable.  One way to meet other expats when you're in a new country is to join associations, groups, or coffee clubs.  And yesterday my bump was noticed by a lady in one of those coffee groups.  Oh thank gawd, I don't just look like I've gotten fatter anymore.

A friend of mine (who is from Newfoundland, living in Singapore, knows a mutual friend who tried to connect us, but we met in a bar before we met through him!) is part of a coffee club for expat women and asked me to join them.  I went yesterday morning and, I have to say, had a grand time!  The ladies are all from England (except us Canadians) with one having moved to Australia 30 years ago.  Their husbands work here in Singapore, while they are along for a great ride and await their husbands' retirement.  They all smoke.  One is getting cosmetic surgery this week.  They love to shop.  Most are divorced and onto their second marriages (well, who isn't?!).  They've traveled all over the place and can provide recommendations to almost anywhere.  And they're all hilarious.  We may be in totally different places in life, but funny is funny at any age.

My days and weeks are finally filling with activity and more friendships.  If you're reading this blog, you know I gave up on finding work here.  I've been focused more on personal development and social and cultural activities.  I now have the energy to run more than first trimester and go 2-3 times a week.  We've been traveling.. our next trip is this weekend to Bali, Indonesia!  We've taken in a ton of cultural festivities with Chinese New Year being as festive as Christmas is at home.  I'm meeting more friends.  I'm starting to feel more natural getting around, i.e., I don't get lost as much.  I started to knit (well, have taken it up again - I used to knit years ago).  I read by the pool.  I'm cooking more.  My daughter and I joined guitar lessons at the local Community Centre.  I am one step away from registering for a couple of courses.  Life is full and getting more and more exciting.

Well, have a seat.  Because guess what?  I have a job.  I applied for a couple after I returned from Christmas holidays.... and I got one of them!  So I'm getting my international work experience afterall. 

Surprisingly, it's a really good time to begin to work in this new environment.  My burnout is gone.  I'm pretty comfortable getting around in the city.  And my 45 minute train ride won't be standing up because of my newly noticed baby bump.  Thank-you very much, I'll take that seat.

No comments:

Post a Comment