Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Ants In My Plants

I know I am very late writing about our recent travels in Bali, Hong Kong, and India.  But lately, I have something else on my mind....

When we first arrived in our condo, we spent weeks furnishing it to be homey.  Terry bought lots of plants and my daughter had her own couple of colorful cacti - Petunia and Clementine.  Singapore is full of greenery... the government has planted trees and plants everywhere - on highways, on top of buildings, in parks.  So when I look out my living room window, which is floor to ceiling, it's a wonderful green view.  However, having plants inside is relaxing and makes me feel closer to nature.

Last week, my daughter lifted her little Petunia and ants came sprawling out like a tsunami!  Petunia and Clementine were both full of them!  And we had to throw them out.  Terry's plants also underwent some strains when we were traveling, including having bugs, and although he tried several survival techniques, we now are plantless.  Since we are moving home in a few months, we'll just remain plantless until we get home.

I also am beginning to have ants in my pants.  I'm 32 weeks pregnant and am ready to get on with it all.  That said, we're enjoying our last bit of time here... and have decided that having a baby in Singapore is an international experience in itself.

The medical system here is quite different than home.  First of all, there is no waiting - big bonus.  But you pay for that - it's private health care.  The total cost of having a baby and all the pre- and post-medical treatment required will cost the down payment of a small house.  Canada really should give patients invoices showing the amount our government has paid for our medical, don't you think?  It would certainly give us an idea of where our taxes are going... and maybe how we can improve efficiencies too.  I'm sure we all know our health care system can be 'leaned up'... but I digress.

You go to the doc every 2-3 weeks here when you're expecting.  And you get an ultrasound at every visit.  It's really quite wonderful to have more accurate information about that living creature growing inside you.  When it's time to get your blood work, it's accessible (clinics located all over the place - the one I went to was right outside my condo!) and fast (virtually no line-up/queue).  The hospitals are like hotels.  The private rooms are simply lovely.... with lavish bed clothes, LCD TVs, CD players, soft lighting, aromatherapy, couches/chairs and, in some rooms, a table and chairs for eating meals.  Your partner can room in with you, and if you get the more expensive room, so can your other children.  Alternative therapies and delivery methods are widely used and accepted.  One delivery room in the hospital we're going to is specially outfitted with hydrotherapy equipment.

I've probably mentioned how the government is trying to get more couples to have children.  The birth rate isn't what they want it to be so there are programs and incentives for having babies.  Maybe having comfort and ease throughout the process is part of that.  What is interesting, though, is that so many expats come here and have children!  The common comment is that "there's something in the water."  Anyway, we've fallen into that category now too.

Of course, we are moving back home after baby is born.  That means quickly getting the necessary papers submitted for a passport.  The Canadian Consulate says it takes 15 business days to get a passport processed.  We can register the birth in Singapore at the hospital, though.... so that should be pretty straightforward.

So I have ants in my pants now.  I just want to get everything done.  We've pretty much decided to not move our furniture back home since that also costs the down payment of a small house... that means we have to somehow get rid of the furniture.  At home there are many places you can donate your furniture and household items.... that doesn't seem to be so easy here.  At least we have already gotten rid of our plants.

No comments:

Post a Comment