Monday, November 22, 2010

I'll Be Home For Christmas...

My daughter is auditioning for her school production this week and needs to perform a solo song and a soliloquy.  She has no problem singing solo but is nervous about the acting.  So in attempts to help her, Terry decided to offer that I would sing two Christmas songs if she practiced her soliloquy in front of us!  I think he secretly just wanted a reason to get me to sing because he's never heard me.

She did a great job practicing.  I, on the other hand, do not have much of a note in my head.  I can play instruments and I can dance, but singing is not a talent of mine.  I was completely off key, but I sang nevertheless - because it was for the good of my daughter.  After my singing debut, we continued to sing Christmas carols while Terry played the guitar.  And the excitement for Christmas began.

We'll be home for Christmas.  We'll have lived in Singapore for four months and will visit home for two weeks.  It's far away and expensive and we hadn't planned on going home for Christmas.  But we are completely happy with our decision. 

The festivities of the holiday season have begun here in Singapore as well.  We strolled through a few shopping areas over the weekend and streets and storefronts and malls are decorated in fine style (the picture of the tree above is from Vivo City rooftop).  The lighting ceremony for Orchard Road (shopping area) was on Saturday night.  Concerts are planned for coming weeks.  The Nutcracker is next week - gotta get tickets.  Santa is going to be here for photos next week.  (By the way, there's a job for a Santa's helper... you dress up and take photos with kids.  I seriously considered applying for it.  I have experience as Easter Bunny's helper afterall.)  I think Christmas in Singapore is very much like Christmas in NL... except no mummering and no family.  And no parade.  And no snow... actually it's sunny and humid as always.

Speaking of singing, I've been invited to join a choir.  It's a choir for people that can't sing.  Seriously.  A bunch of expat non-singers go to a Scottish bar owned by a Singaporean every Thursday morning for choir practice.  And we're going to do Christmas carol concerts too.

No comments:

Post a Comment