Friday, September 3, 2010

Eat, Love, Pray? No problem.

My friend sent me info on a retreat to Bali that was inspired by the book/movie "Eat, Love, Pray".  I'm sure every almost woman over 35ish can relate to it - although I haven't read/seen it yet.  The timing of the retreat doesn't work for me, but I'm eating, loving and praying anyway.

Eating

Singaporeans LOVE their food.  My digestive system, on the other hand, does not love Singaporean food.  We've eaten all kinds of noodles, sauces, veggies, soups, new combinations, and some meats - oh, and eggs are served with everything - raw or cooked.  One morning last weekend, I had Indian food for breakfast, and although it was absolutely delicious, it must have contained my entire allowable calories for the day!

You can get all kinds of seafood here - mostly prepared in rich sauces and/or soups, although dried fish is common too.  Chili sauce, chilies, and 'spicy' are common.  Even McDonald's gives out chili packets.  One of the hawker stands in our Town Centre serves frog.  I'll wait to try that.

A few days ago, I decided to eat lighter.  Why do we take so many photos at times wen we eat so much?  I am gaining weight!  I started eating granola for breakfast... ohhhmmmm... the smallest things from our 'normal home life' make us feel calmer.

Loving

If you know me, you know I live in the 'love world'.  I am loving the moments I'm so lucky to be having and I'm practicing gratitude daily.  In addition to that, though, my partner and I have started date night!  Yes!  Like the movie, but a wee bit less adventurous - so far anyway:)  Last Sunday we went to East Coast Park.  It was wonderful.

The long stretch of beach and grassy land was peppered with scrumptious smelling restaurants and people spending time with their loved ones.  Bike and in-line skate rental shops are open until 10pm, and we went for a 2-hour skate.... it felt good to get physical (and get blisters!).  The path is smooth and lit after sun down.  Young adults pitch tents along the way and have weekend camp-outs.  Meditation groups sit and ring their bell every so often.  Hundreds of boats are lined up in the ocean... and of course, green is everywhere.  It's a fabulous place to go... to be... to laugh.... to love...

After our skate, with our feet swollen, red, and blistered and our clothes soaked, the guy at the rental shop yelled to another to confirm our rental... he said 'ang mo'... this was the first time I heard us being called 'white man'.  Apparently it's common.

Naturally, we had to end our date with food... and we had Turkish food!  I had chicken shish - yum!

On our way home we were privy to an annual, local tradition called the Hungry Ghost Ghetan (not sure of the spelling).  The Chinese have an old tradition that in the 7th month (lunar), they make offerings to the ghosts (dead), and towards the end of the month, they celebrate with a dinner, auction, and show.  Since we've arrived, we've seen many of these offerings around the city - they usually comprise oranges, apples, cakes, flowers, burning incense, and burning paper money.  They can be set up lavishly on tables or simply on the edge of sidewalks.  The air often smells like burning paper.  My question is, "what happens to the offerings when the ghosts don't take them?"  Anyway, we were super lucky to have witnessed such an event and we walked home smiling.

We are definitely loving.

Praying

Many religions are practiced here.  In our first week here we spent a day exploring China Town and visited three temples - a Mosque, an Indian temple, and a Buddhist temple.

To enter the Mosque, we removed our shoes and wore robes (we had shorts and tank tops on).  The practioners were chanting and bowing as we walked around careful not to step on the carpet, as instructed.  I read about the history of the Islamic religion and appreciated the differences, although I couldn't agree with all the beliefs.  We left feeling calm.

The Indian temple was an entirely different experience.  Statues of the many gods and goddesses were lavishly displayed.  Alters were arranged.  The temple itself was amazingly colorful and intricately designed.  We removed our shoes and walked on concrete this time... some of which was exposed to the sun and was too hot to stand on.  Each god/goddess had an area in front of it to worship and many had donation boxes.  A foot washing station was provided.  And some people who followed the faith meditated or prayed or just sat - being.  It was a peaceful yet colorful place that felt full of life.

My favorite was the Buddhist temple.  Thousands of Buddha statues were placed around the four floor temple.  At the entrances you could light incense and pray or meditate.  All three of us lit incense and placed it in the burning area, and I sent healing thoughts to the people in my life struggling with illness.  I think of them often.

Towards the back of the first floor was a gigantic gold Buddha statue and six or seven monks chanting with meditation symbols.  The chanting was incredibly calming.  Each floor boasted another fantastical attraction.  We witnessed people meditating on pillows, being blessed by a monk, and praying around a prayer wheel (one of the largest in the world).  We read the story of Buddha and my daughter and I took a moment to sit together on a bench in the rooftop garden, which was full of lush greenery and flowers and trickling water.  It was a peaceful, enriching experience... and I'd like to have that rooftop on my building.

Although we all have differing beliefs and each at varying levels, one commonality is the desire to be connected.  That day I felt connected.  The last month or so has been hectic and busy with every day full of tasks and appointments and deadlines and to do lists.  I'm trying to remember to take a moment each day to get connected to my inner self.  It goes a long way when dealing with the challenges presented by an international move.

I think I will begin to investigate the retreats offered in this area of the world.  Maybe instead of becoming a CEO I'll become a master yogi:)  (Both in my dreams!)

No comments:

Post a Comment