Thursday, September 2, 2010

Habit Haulover

In order to manage the stresses of all the changes occuring, I've started to simply accept that I need to change some of my habits.

It's incredibly difficult to get a 'coffee to go (a.k.a. take away) with a tiny bit of milk'.  It's impossible to find light blend coffee... even at Starbucks.  I've been drinking Kopi, but it's full of calories.  You can also get Kopi-O (without condensed milk) or Kopi-C (with Carnation milk), neither of which appeal to me.  I like my coffee with just a tiny bit of milk... fresh milk... and no sugar.

With all the heavy sauces and Kopi drinking, I'm gaining weight!  And I'm walking everywhere and swimming in our pool a few times a week.  So, as much as I like the idea of drinking Kopi for less than $1 while reading the Singapore paper at the Kopi Tiam (coffee shop), I have found a compromise to my coffee addiction... ahem... habit. 

McDonald's is everywhere here!  Each morning I purchase a coffee and a small milk (they don't have milk for coffee - only cream or CoffeeMate).  To date, my partner drank the milk after I dribbled a few drops into my coffee.  This may not be my long-term solution, but it works right now while I'm in transition. 

I had a cup of fabulous ginger tea after an Indonesian massage during our first week here.  I tried ordering ginger tea at the hawker stand the next day and got ginger tea... with sugar and some sort of cream.  A couple of days ago I ordered Tea-O Ping... iced tea without condensed milk.  It was swwweet!  Sweet as in sugary sweet... but I drank it anyway.

I'm open to a full habit haulover... by taking baby steps.

No comments:

Post a Comment