Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Two Steps Forward

We have been in Singapore for 6 weeks, short a day.  And reality is definitely setting in.  Progress around here is finding a place you've been looking for, beginning to understand Singlish, and noticing smiles amongst a rushing crowd (and do not stop amongst a rushing crowd!)

If you've seen my status on Facebook, you know that I finally found a supermarket that sells familiar food!  It's expensive though.  S$11 (approx. $8.50 Cdn) for a tiny container of red pepper dip, S$8 for the same amount of hummus, and S$11 for a box of Triscuits!  A large box of Corn Flakes, however, is only S$3.55!!  Local food is much more affordable, and we are adjusting our tastes.  Lime juice is one of my preferences now... of course, there are two types of lime juice: Singapore lime juice, which to me is more like lemon juice and my daughter's new favorite drink; and Indian lime juice, which to me is much better.  I'm even starting to crave Tom Yum soup, Gado Gado, and Mee Siam.

Terry and I have signed up for a yoga class and I've found a ton of activities to take in over the year.  I found a Mandarin class, but it doesn't meet our schedule, so I'm still looking for that.  I found the post office.  I found pots.  I found a running shirt.  I found a salad that tastes good!!!  I found a book store that sells brown paper and bubble wrap to wrap parcels.  I managed to get an x-ray and a blood test for my pass even though I was sent to four different clinics.  Clinics are everywhere, though, so all four were one MRT stop from each other.

Progress, lah (that's a Singlish word).

Understanding Singlish is not as easy as being lost and trying to find your way around town centres.  One evening last week, my daughter and I went to our favorite hawker stand, and the guy who is always working there says, 'sheelee'.... ummmm... pardon?  'sheelee'.... *smile* pardon? '*smile... chuckle.... guy next to him chuckles... shows us the sheelee....'  Ohhh... chilli!!  Yes!!  We love this guy and we all had a grand laugh.

Today I was sitting in a clinic staring off into space and I hear a name being called.  I'm listening intently but I do not hear my last name.  It's called again.  Nope, not me.  I look over only to see the lady staring at me and saying "Miss Tina?"  Right.... they call you Miss or Mr. *first name* here.  But... then I get a smile when she realizes I understand now.  Ahhhhh...

Smiles.  Yesterday I was pushed and shoved and squeezed by people.  Rudeness exists here too.  But today I got smiles from everyone at the clinics (how could I get frustrated when they kept sending me elsewhere?), and the lady at McDonald's who serves me coffee a few times a week now smiles when she sees me coming.  I wonder if she is laughing at me for my order (coffee black and a small fresh milk).  It doesn't matter.  I'm getting a smile.  The instructor of my workshop last week was full of positive energy and smiles.  Typically, people that work in the service industry are friendly, and it really does make the difficulties of the day fade away.

I'm still searching for a job, and everything I hear and read tells me it's tough to secure one without being a permanent resident or citizen.  Maybe not so different from home??  It won't stop me of course.  Maybe I'll get an interview and my smile will work? 

The saying is two steps forward, one step back... and that's exactly how I feel.  But the steps back are where the real growth is.  Step back to take a breath.  Step back to be present.  Step back to realize the lesson.  With every challenge there is success, and does it ever feel better if it was difficult than if it was easy.  I questioned our relocation this week when my daughter was experiencing homesickness.  But a good night's rest gave us both a better perspective.  This is the best thing we could have done for ourselves.  Our steps back are providing us the challenges we need to be pushed two steps forward.

Must get me some mee siam.

2 comments:

  1. Tina, what an adventure but it sounds like all is well. Do keep posting both here and on Facebook - it's great to live vicariously!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Brigid! I'm glad you are reading and enjoying. Namaste:)

    ReplyDelete