Friday, September 3, 2010

Ouch! That Feels Good

That Indonesian massage I had a couple of weeks ago was one of those 'the more it hurts, the better it feels' experiences. 

On my daughter's first day of school, my partner and I spent a frustrating hour trying to pay her tuition.  The credit card was flagged so we had to call VISA.  We'd already alerted VISA we'd be using the card internationally for a large purchase, so this was our 2nd call to them.  We waited on hold for about 20 minutes.  Finally we got a person!  After many calls to other VISA centres and banks, the poor campus administrator and my partner got it figured out.  The younger and likely less experienced girl that served us first had used the wrong machine!  One hour later.. Brittany's school fees - too much.... a missed appointment at the Employment Pass Centre for fingerprinting - approximately $100 in time... the international VISA experience - priceless (well, VISA is like Mastercard, right? :).

After our priceless adventure, we decided to wander.... and we found an Indonesian massage centre!  Yay!  My neck and back were incredibly sore and my man was craving a foot massage (that's correct, I have not been giving him foot massages!).  Unlike at home, where a massage appointment needs to be booked weeks in advance, we had appointments immediately!  My partner was led to the reflexology area and I was led up several narrow stairways - all carpeted in deep red with rich tapestries hanging on the walls and statues adorning the dark, solid wood shelves.  Soft, meditative instrumental music with the occasional chant played.  Upstairs there were massage 'stalls' - each curtained off with a massage table inside.  The Indonesian lady left me to prepare, which I did and lay on the table thinking, "I'm in heaven!"

The beginning of the massage was fairly light... getting warmed up.  Brutality followed!  Gentle mary mother of god (is this a NL expression?).... the massage lady's fiingers and knuckles and heels of her hands, and I swear, her elbows, dug in and found every sore sinew of muscle.  She prodded and kneeded every centimeter of my back, getting on top of the table for more force at times.  It killed!  But it felt so good.  I jumped and jittered the whole way through.  When she started on my neck I thought I should tell her about my chronic neck problems... but I figured a good, strong massage might help make it better.  So I winced through the painful, yet weirdly satisfying, neck rub.

Ahhhh.... over.  Feeling good.... like when those bells ring loud forever and ever and when they stop silence is a huge relief and feels so good.

The Indonesian lady left me alone to find my way back... a little dazed, I made only one wrong turn, and I managed to return to the front desk, where they had the most amazing cup of hot ginger tea waiting for me.  I lapped it up as I sat in a state of subdued consciousness as I waited for my partner.  Ahhhhh.....

Next day... pain!  I bought a neck pillow that was too hard and, after 5 sleepless nights, I splurged on a S$97 contoured pillow and managed to get some peaceful sleep. 

Sarah (my massage therapist at home), I want you here in Singapore!!

No comments:

Post a Comment